Monday, August 18, 2003

I kind of wanted to link to the Wall Street Journal article about the Blackout, but it's subscription only. So I gotta work with the hard copy.

...Soon, I will be joining you, my brothers... Soon...
(Quoting a dream I had after reading A Clockwork Orange.)

Anyway, Rebecca Smith opines (on the front page, not that I disagree), "(t)he unsteady regulatory situation, among other factors, inhibits the investment that is critically needed to improve transmission equipment."

She says Congress is planning to "give teeth" to the North American Electric Reliability Council, a "self-regulating industry body set up after a big East Coast blackout in 1965." Hopefully they will act as judges or arbitrators in disputes, and not as bureaucrats or despots.

For further discussion, I recommend den Beste and Jane Galt.

No comments: