Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Something that's been bothering me most of my life

can now be laid to rest, thank Google.

We had the radio on at work and the song "Blinded by the Light" came on. I commented that Springsteen wrote it back about 1970 and I'm surprised it wasn't forgotten 30 years ago.

It's a catchy tune. The tune deserves #1 status it achieved when Manfred Mann covered it in 1977 - makes you want to learn the song so you can sing it. But then you're repelled by the idiocy of the lyrics.

But it's "deuce", not "douche."

"Revved up like a deuce."

Takes a load off my mind.

Of course, that ain't how Springsteen sang it. Apparently, Manfred Mann's poor enunciation is what has led to its popularity and longevity. "Hahaha, he said 'douche'."

Nah, the longevity comes from the brilliance of the tune.

That doesn't save the rest of the lyrics, though.

No comments: