Sunday, March 02, 2008

I've been listening to that country station,

my daughter keeps tuning it in, and - I forget what and whose the songs are, but there've been more than a couple about guys' Dads. And I was playing my Best of Bread CD earlier today which has the song "Everything I Own," about David Gates' Dad.

My Dad used to sing the song "That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine," which he probably took from Jim Reeves, though I see it was originally a Gene Autry song. I'd like to hear that (latter) version. I haven't heard either, really, I've only heard Dad sing it. I've mentioned that I think Dad was the best country singer I've ever heard, he had an extraordinary vocal range. I don't suppose I'll ever be able to make that case definitively. I'm obviously biased, and, as far as I know, there are no extant recordings to prove it.

Well, Dad sang this song here:
That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine Lyrics
Artist:Jim Reeves

In a vine-covered shack in the mountains
Bravely fighting the battle of Time
There's a dear one who's weathered life's sorrow
It's that silver haired Daddy of mine

If I could recall all the heartaches
Dear old Daddy, I've caused you to bear
If I could erase those lines from your face
And bring back the gold to your hair

If God would but grant me the power
Just to turn back the pages of Time
I'd give all I own if I could but atone
To that silver haired Daddy of mine.

I know it's too late, dear old Daddy
To repay for the heartaches and care
But dear Mother is waiting in Heaven
Just to comfort and solace you there

If I could recall all the heartaches
Dear old Daddy, I've caused you to bear
If I could erase those lines from your face
And bring back the gold to your hair

If God would but grant me the power
Just to turn back the pages of Time
I'd give all I own if I could but atone
To that silver haired Daddy of mine

Now, Dad didn't go gray, really, much before he got lung cancer and ended up bald, so when he was singing it, I always imagined Grandpa as the subject of the song.

Grandpa outlived Dad by several years. Dad was the oldest of his seven children, and the third to pass. Is there a song that tells how Grandpa felt?

No comments: