Saturday, March 08, 2008

I suppose I should say something about Brett Favre retiring.

The People have been clamoring so for a proclamation.

I heard Laura Ingraham asking the question, did Favre embarass himself by crying at his farewell press conference? I'm not a "real men don't cry" guy at all, there are damn good reasons to cry, most of 'em involving death, and retiring from a storied football career is one of those.

But, I'm not sure why the guy's retiring. Nobody in the history of the world was more in a position to say, "Just kidding!" and have everyone respond, "Well! You really had me going there for a minute!" And then go on as if the word 'retire' had never been mentioned.

I hear Favre's got a massive ego. Let me stroke it a bit: he's the greatest thing that ever happened to the Packers in my lifetime. Well, okay, I was alive for half of the Lombardi Era, but I don't remember any of it.

Except for brief glimmerings, the Packers have sucked most of my life.

What's next season going to look like?

No comments: