Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I was just reading TF Stern's latest "rant"

about PBS' The Mormons and the following show*, which I'm sorry to say I missed both of, and it reminded me - speaking of things that bring a tear to your eye - that my church put on a production of Godspell last Sunday.

I was led to believe, as a child, that there was something wrong with the show. I looked for something to criticize and found absolutely nothing. It was wonderful!

I think the guy who played Jesus could be accused of being a "ringer" - at least I didn't know him, but I only go to the 10:30 AM service - I mean, he was too good an actor and singer. We have some great musicians and singers in our congregation, but I've never seen that good an actor in our productions before.

I think the criticism I heard was that the story ends with the crucifixion. No, it doesn't. Not really. Jesus comes back and joins his powerful voice to the chorus in the end, clearly as The Leader.

It struck me as a show design to encourage, instruct and exhort believers, rather than convert unbelievers. The show was marvelous. The fundy critics look like they were expressing sour grapes to me, now that I've seen it.

I'll go into it a bit more later, though. My wife's expecting me.

*Remind me to find links to these.

No comments: