Saturday, November 15, 2003

I just got my Mises Memo in the mail.

Which you can get by donating to the Mises Institute. That's where I got the quote above. They're bragging up their kind treatment by Le Monde. The reporter is obviously one of ours. Thank God such a person exists.

Somehow I would like to combine being a hardcore Austrian and a hardcore Objectivist. And somehow squeeze in the fact that I'm a member of the Lutheran Church. ELCA, if anyone cares, although fine theological distinctions aren't of interest to me.
I could be called a methodological atheist. I believe in living as though the responsibility for my life, liberty and happiness could not be shunted off to some - at best - poorly understood superbeing. The motivation for and essence of morality is that we should do what we can to make life worth living for as long as we can.

That might make me a Deist, which are now called Unitarians although I think I'd dislike a lot of the new age crap that's filtered in, and I doubt I'd like their ceremonies.

I was actually raised a fundamentalist Christian. The first and main church I went to as a child was The Darrow Road Wesleyan Church. I got married in that building there, but I don't think I'd been to more than half a dozen services there. They built it just as I was finishing college.

The Wesleyans split off from some of the Methodists over the issue of slavery. The Wesleyans were abolitionists. I consider that admirable. John Wesley founded the Methodist movement within the English Church in the 1700s more or less by inventing the Bible Study. They were rejected and booted out.

No comments: