Saturday, November 15, 2003

Anyway, as I was saying...

My mother was a Missionary Baptist, so whenever we went to Oklahoma we went to the Missionary Baptist Church in Vian, OK. Still do in fact. My cousin's husband is the pastor there. Hmm. This doesn't look like the right location. Ah! Actually it's this one.

I don't see much that's incompatible between the two churches, but then my mother was really my primary source of information about theology.

But, then the Charismatic Movement hit our church and we got into that. When I was a junior in high school I went to Sunday school and church on Sunday morning, Youth Group and Evening Service Sunday evening (sometimes at the Assembly of God downtown), Wednesday night prayer service, Tuesday night was Youth Bible Study, Thursday was Campus Life, and Friday was Bible Study.

Now, I understood that the Charismatics considered people not to be saved (and therefore going to Hell) if they didn't speak in tongues, but when a missionary from the Missionary Baptists came to Duluth, my mother started going there and I went with her. That was where I discovered that they believed that speaking in tongues was of the Devil.

My mother considered this a minor point. The good news was that I was more influenced on these points by the Wesleyans who, oddly enough, had a compromise position right from the beginning. I have two books on John Wesley. I'll blog it up for all my adoring fans here shortly.

No comments: