Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ask them 'why?'

Jay Earley, in his book Self-TherapySelf-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using IFS, A New, Cutting-Edge Therapy, asks me to name a couple of my protectors and answer some questions about them.

I think it will be easy to do. There are quite a bunch of them in the room, waving their hands and excitedly shouting, "pick me!" I'm going to pick two of the tough guys in the back, who aren't waving their hands: The Distractor and The Mumbler.

I'd like to make this funny, but I won't. The questions:

What is it's role in helping you manage your life and interact with the world?

How does it relate to other people?

How does it protect you from pain?

What is its positive intent for you?

What is it trying to protect you from?

Mr. Distractor ("Don't call me an "it.")
Mr. Mumbler ("Don't call me an "it.")

I'll get back to this later.

4 comments:

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

The Bored one claims, "This aint nothing but a chicken wing." In total seriousness I might add.

Al said...

Why?

The probligo said...

Hmm... my protectors, huh?

Never really thought about it in those terms.

I would like to think of myself as being a (fairly unsuccessful) stoic as a primary protector. That falls over when I start getting emotional; something that has happened a lot more frequently in recent years. Does that do me much good? Dunno, nothing to compare it with really.

The other aspect which might be considered my "protector" is denial. "It will never happen to me" is a fantastic preparation for the inevitable. You can be sure but that anything that will never happen to the ol probligo is sure to come to pass and most likely in the next two or three days.

:D

Al said...

Lol. Yeah, I know how that goes.