Saturday, February 10, 2007

Henry Hazlitt, most famously the author of

Economics In One Lesson and columnist for Newsweek through the '60s and '70s, wrote a novel called Time Will Run Back, which I will post an excerpt of on my other blog, Bourgeois Philistine. You can download a PDF version of it via the second link. I'll show you where to buy a hard copy at BP after the excerpt.

I found it the easiest read on economics that I've seen yet. (Of course, I haven't seen Russell Roberts' love story, so I can't compare them.)

If you're not aware of it, the "One Lesson" is, "The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups." [I didn't feel that Hazlitt's italics were necessary here.] If you read none of the rest of that book, the first and second chapters are essential for anyone interested in public policy.

No comments: