Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A guy oughta write a post now and then, eh?

It's tough when I've gotta deal with screaming and/or whining kids when I turn the TV on to something I want to watch. I wanted to see what Bush had to say tonight, but I wasn't even able to tune in talk radio until the guys were wrapping up the subject. The guys who aren't just Bush mouthpieces anyway. And Savage records his show earlier, so even he was no help.

He wouldn't have been anyway.

Actually, sometimes he really does cut to the heart of the matter, just as he claims.

I suppose I could review Dragon Tales for you. I saw an episode tonight that I hadn't seen before.

Rosie plugged in The Incredibles while that was on upstairs, so we rewatched that. What an amazingly well done story that is. You've got the pathos of the "Supers" suppressing their powers - unfulfilled middle-aged man with a boring job, whiny kids too bored to fulfill anyone's expectations. You've got the comedy of their failures to suppress their powers. You've got your family values, your love story - even some unrequited love - along all the great action/adventure you expect from a super-hero cartoon, and tons better animation than you'll ever see on Saturday morning. Except maybe for some Warner Bros products, the Saturday morning cartoons have the stupidest stories imaginable. And the worst animation since Hoppity Hooper.

Oh, I'm sorry! Did you want to hear about Dragon Tales?

[I'll just tack this on here, rather than create a new post.] I meant to say something a couple weeks ago, when my Matt Helm Yahoo group brought it up, about the Sex Wagon from the Dean Martin movie (you can't hardly call it a Matt Helm movie - it's about Dino, the martini-swilling playboy, not Helm, the cold-blooded government assassin) The Silencers has been restored and is on display at the Volo Auto Museum, in Volo, Illinois; 50 miles northwest of Chicago.

They just might lure me into that state to see it. I thought those movies were pretty funny when I was a kid. That's why I started reading the books.

The books aren't funny. Not in the same way. There's a lot of dark humor. If you want to be a tough-minded killer, they're must-reading to gain the mind-set.

Or, maybe it's a bad idea to spread that info around.

No comments: