Thursday, December 07, 2006

Taranto, today, got me to google the phrase "scientific journalism"

Best of the Web section 2.

I was disappointed to see that most people, when they use the phrase, mean "science journalism" or reporting on what scientists do and say. I was hoping that maybe somebody had attempted to figure out the scientific method of journalism. Other than this guy and his intellectual offspring, I mean.

Let me give them a definition of journalism to begin with: it is the effort to discover and disseminate the facts about events. Of course, in a free market, somebody has to want to buy and read your facts so they have to be presented in a commercially viable way...

Aye. There's the... well, you know.

By the way, no product in the world is sold (in either sense of the term--marketed or delivered upon receipt of payment) to the majority of human beings. All markets are niches. This is not evil - for the most part, it's wonderful - but it can be difficult.

Btbtw: How do you like my creative splitting of an infinitive?

No comments: