Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sorry about that. Went out of town for Labor Day.

I hear they had some major storms while I was Up North. We had fabulous weather.

Rosie and I took a long walk Saturday and swam on both Sunday and Monday. The water was cool, but not as cold as Pattison Park (where I grew up).

I ran 12 miles on Sunday, in 2 hours. ...All right, "jogged."

Ron, I bet you didn't know you share your birthday with Epicurus. He was born 2300 years to the day before you. [Except you actually have to subtract 2 years because the guys who made our calendar didn't know about zeroes... don't get me started. But you can't make any numerological hay out of 2298 years. Or can you?]

I've mentioned him before. I like his philosophy, generally speaking. He was accused of being a sumptuary [WOD alert!!], because he says that the basis and goal of action should be pleasure. Or, to quote from the first paragraph of Cicero's quote of Lucius Torquatus who was defending Epicureanism:
...[T]he final and ultimate Good, which as all philosophers are agreed must be of such a nature as to be the End to which all other things are means, while it is not itself a means to anything else. This Epicurus finds in pleasure; pleasure he holds to be the Chief Good, pain the Chief Evil. This he sets out to prove as follows: Every animal, as soon as it is born, seeks for pleasure, and delights in it as the Chief Good, while it recoils from pain as the Chief Evil, and so far as possible avoids it. This it does as long as it remains unperverted, at the prompting of Nature's own unbiased and honest verdict.

No comments: