Monday, December 22, 2003

Stephen den Beste points out this article:

Power and Weakness, by Robert Kagan. A disturbing view into the mindset of Europeans. What if your doctor had this view of your treatment for a deadly condition:

Europeans insist they approach problems with greater nuance and sophistication. They try to influence others through subtlety and indirection. They are more tolerant of failure, more patient when solutions don't come quickly. They generally favor peaceful responses to problems, preferring negotiation, diplomacy, and persuasion to coercion.

As opposed to this one:

Americans tend to seek finality in international affairs: They want problems solved, threats eliminated.

I don't want my doctor to forgive himself when he loses me, if another doctor could save me.

I think it was Jefferson who said, "the only thing required for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing." The EU and the UN epitomize the do nothing approach.

No comments: