Friday, March 03, 2006

Bill Bradford's dead too?!!

[My first thought for a title for this was "AAGH! G** D*** H***!!"]

J****! What are we going to do now?!

I take deep comfort in this list:
R.W. Bradford
(1947–2005)
founder

Stephen Cox
editor

Andrew Ferguson
managing editor

John Hospers
Bruce Ramsey
Jane S. Shaw
senior editors

Brien Bartels
David Boaz
Alan W. Bock
Douglas Casey
Eric D. Dixon
Brian Doherty
Alan Ebenstein
David Friedman
Bettina Bien Greaves
Leon T. Hadar
Gene Healy
Robert Higgs
Bill Kauffman
Dave Kopel
Bart Kosko
Loren E. Lomasky
Sarah McCarthy
Wendy McElroy
William E. Merritt
Robert H. Nelson
Randal O'Toole
Ross Overbeek
Durk Pearson
Patrick Quealy
Jeff Riggenbach
Scott J. Reid
Ralph R. Reiland
Sheldon Richman
Timothy Sandefur
Sandy Shaw
JoAnn Skousen
Mark Skousen
Tim Slagle
Fred L. Smith Jr.
Martin M. Solomon
Clark Stooksbury
Thomas S. Szasz
Martin Morse Wooster
Leland B. Yeager
contributing editors

Mark Rand
Kathleen Bradford
assistant editors

S.H. Chambers
Rex F. May
cartoonists

There are a great many geniuses there. Their eulogies may be read here.

Let me quote from Joanne Skousen's:
In 1991 I gave a talk at the Eris Society meetings in Aspen, Colo. Entitled "Confessions of an English Major," it was about my experience as a politically incorrect but morally erect graduate student at the University of Florida. Afterwards Bill talked to me enthusiastically about my speech, both the content and the delivery, and suggested I should run for president on the Libertarian ticket.

"We need someone like you," he said. "You're a woman, you're married, you go to church, you like raising your kids, and you're intelligent besides. We need you to demonstrate that Libertarians aren't just druggies and anarchists." I took it as a compliment but thought nothing more about it until the week before Labor Day, when Bill started calling me from the Libertarian Convention every few hours to say, "Get out here! We need to nominate you!"

I was in Utah, taking my firstborn to her college orientation, and wouldn't leave her. But I love being able to tell people, "The Libertarian Party wanted me to run for president, but I had to take my daughter to school!"

The fact that Bill was serious about nominating me says a lot about his attitude toward liberty. He knew that liberty isn't just for anarchists, or technocrats, or druggies, or men, although that is the impression the media seem to have of libertarians. Bill knew that libertarian principles are as relevant for religious stay-at-home moms as they are for pot-smoking single males. He also believed that a libertarian political victory was possible. His wasn't just the purist, out-of-the-ashes-of-anarchy libertarianism, but a workable, electable libertarian style of limited government.

May Mr. Cox and the rest of those on that list worthily carry on the work of the Master.

No comments: