Sunday, June 19, 2005

Well, we didn't see any Muskies, and I didn't buy a fishing license.

Saturday was our 17th Anniversary, so I didn't think it'd be that good an idea to spend the day fishing. So I spent it helping my father-in-law get the boat out (an 18 foot Bayliner, 4.3 liter Mercury inboard/outboard, if anyone cares). The we took a ride around Pine Island. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness touches the lake on the back side of the island, so it's pretty wild back in there. Sunny, breezy, the waves a little too rough for a perfect ride, but pretty nice anyway.

Then the winch died when we got back. My theory is that the ballast went, they're supposed to go to protect everything else, like a breaker, but what do I know.

Anyway, we spent the next couple hours with a chain-hoist pulling the boat back into the boathouse. It's way too heavy to just push it in, and somehow setting up a backup has been overlooked. I've been hanging around the place for 17 years now, and stand to inherit it someday (hopefully, not soon), I need to stop expecting him to do all the thinking around there.

Anyway, Rosie and I jumped in the lake for a sunset swim after all that. I reveled in the fact that sunset was at about 9:10, though you had to go up to the second story and look out a north facing window to see it.

We celebrated Father's Day with a cake today, and the daughters made the fathers gifts. Laurie bought me The Incredibles DVD. I won't tell you what I bought her because... um...well...uh, it hasn't come in yet. [Insert John Lovitz line here.]

I guess I'd better go see what the wife wants. That'll be my motto for a while.

No comments: